Adventures in cooking sustainably, healthfully, and locally

Until Dave puts the kybosh on it anyway.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

One More Season

If this year doesn't go well again, I want to say that this is my last season of veggie gardening.  But every year when gardening doesn't go well, I say that and every year I come back to try again.

Such is the life of a brown/black thumb who so badly wants to be a greenie.

The weather has turned toward springtime here in Colorado and I'm chomping at the bit to start my garden.  This year we're trying something different: a container garden with drip irrigation.  What is on the list?

1. Tomatoes.  I have yet to have a good tomato crop.  Year one I was punched with rot and year two was that blasted hail storm.  This year, I'm trying one - just one - tomato plant.  Because I'm a masochist.

2. Peas.  I'm going to admit that the only reason peas are on the list is because they are an early season plant that I can see us eating.  And I want to be able to start planting in April.

3. Spinach.  On the list for the same reason as #2.  I tried last year (hail chewed it to pieces.)  I'm going to give it one more year.  We do eat a lot of spinach in this house, so I'm really pulling for this one.

4. Zucchini.  Year one we had a bumper crop, last year we had nothing.  I hear that zucchini are hit or miss here in CO so we'll continue to try.

5. Jalapenos.  We had a good crop last year.  Going to try again.

A friend of mine might have some leftover seedlings that she may give me, some peppers I believe.  So I might try those again this year.  Not that I've ever had any luck with green peppers, but there you go.  I went through my seed stash and it appears that I have bush beans and bush cucumbers, so I might try those as well.  Small, simple garden this year.  Something has got to work, right?  Maybe this simplicity plus automatic watering will help.  Otherwise this'll be my last year.

Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment