Adventures in cooking sustainably, healthfully, and locally

Until Dave puts the kybosh on it anyway.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bouquet... of Beer

What did I do for Dave for Father's Day?

I went Home Grown.  I got 2 dozen bottles/cans of beer, born and bred here in Colorado.  Not the Blue Moon one, mind. 

Some liquor stores have the Make Your Own Six Pack, so I made four of them from breweries found all over the state.  So far, he's enjoyed all but one and I can't remember which one that was... it was in a can, a reddish can, and it was some sort of ale.  I think it's fair to say that so far, you really can't go wrong with Colorado brewed beer.  Dave enjoys the red ales, pilsners, wheat beers, things of that nature while I like the stouts, IPAs, and porters.  I figure I get to have my Guinness when our wee one gets here, and since it was Father's Day why not make it a bouquet of what he wants, right?

Right!

Huge success!  A gift that is continuing to give.  I'll post when he gets to some of the funky ones...  I'm sure I threw a rye beer in there somewhere.

On a side note, recently we purchased more Colorado grown booze, including the following gin.

Colorado Gold.  Our first gin attempt was Bombay Sapphire.  I'm not much of a gin fan as I rather apply piney liquid to my floor for cleaning, but Dave didn't mind the Bombay Sapphire.  But he likes the Colorado Gold much more as that tell tale piney taste is markedly subdued. 

So far, Colorado really hasn't disappointed us in terms of booze.  Visitors have been happy so far too, so if that isn't motivation enough, I'm not sure what is. 

Maybe us attempting to change a cloth diaper?  I'm sure we could sell tickets for that...

2 comments:

  1. Hey there, my name is Aaron and I write for the Gin is In. I was looking for a photo of Colorado Gold Gin [since I got a sample from a friend, but didn't get a bottle myself to photograph]. I hope you don't mind, but could I use your photo of the gin on my blog for my review?

    Also, Colorado and booze- particularly gin has wowed me so far. There's so many good distilleries in Colorado, that I think you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere more in tune with distilling and how a place can affect the end product to give it some character. Anyway, I hope you stick with gin. There's a lot of great ones out there.

    Cheers!
    -Aaron Knoll
    a.k.a. The Gin is In

    ReplyDelete