Adventures in cooking sustainably, healthfully, and locally

Until Dave puts the kybosh on it anyway.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Make It Easy: Get It Delivered

Sometimes, when you want to go local, a very convenient option (and surprisingly affordable one I might add) is to have it delivered. 

'round these parts, Royal Crest Dairy and Door-To-Door Organics does just that.

Juice, cottage cheese, and buttah:

Funky squash, lettuce, collards, spinach, and yellow onions...

Cilantro, pepper....


Honey crisp apples and pears....


And pea sprouts (haven't a clue what I'm going to do with this)...

Plus some heirloom cherry tomatoes and fingerling potatoes:

I also have a boatload of milk in the fridge.  All local.

The only disappointing thing was that I bought cheese from Royal Dairy expecting a local vintage.  Instead, I ironically had delivered to my door a nice brick of Wisconsin cheddar.  Heh!

In all fairness, they do try to point out when things aren't local (tangent:  like that juice, plus a loaf of bread that was Sara Lee and her 46 different ingredients for bread.*hangs head in shame* but that is a whole other "clean eating" post, not necessarily a "local eating" post).

A downside to Door-to-Door Organics is that they only guarantee local produce during the growing season and I got their very last delivery of 100% local stuff.  From here until spring, they promise local when they can but the rest is organic.  I figure organic is good for us anyway.

Tangent:  Here is the odd thing.  When I go to a grocery store, I will avoid organic produce because of the price but I end up buy a ton of processed food.  I figure, just pay someone else to pick out my organic produce and the money I spend on it would have been the money I would have dumped on other super processed food. 

Not that there is anything wrong with a Dorito every once in awhile. 

Perhaps next year I'll be ready to only eat in season.  For this winter, I'm going to lean on my organic delivery and figure out what in the world one does with pea sprouts. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful plan. And oh, good luck with those pea sprouts!!

    ReplyDelete