Adventures in cooking sustainably, healthfully, and locally

Until Dave puts the kybosh on it anyway.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Heading into winter, locally

We've had a month's worth of home delivery of local food, both vegetables and fruits and an array of dairy products.

On Royal Crest Dairy:  Fail.  Don't get us wrong!  It is a great service, with lotsa milky products available (as well as some non-local options).  However, I really overestimated the amount of milk we drink.  In fact, we actually don't drink any milk.  I was on a cereal bender there for awhile and I did make some ice cream, but over all... just isn't worth it for a non-milk drinking family.  Maybe when we get around to having children, it may be worth it.  But for now, nah.

On Door-to-Door Organics: Success!  What I love about this particular service is that during the summer months you can request local foods in your delivery.  Once winter hits, you still get fresh food including options for some local stuff when it is available.  Why this is good for our family: I think I stated it before, but I'll say it again...  I'm too cheap to buy organic foods in the grocery store.  I see bushels of apples for 99 cents a pound and then see the same kind in the organic section for 3x the amount.  I can't wrap my mind around the fact that I'm investing in my health.  This way, through the delivery of organic produce, I'm ensuring that I'm getting no chemicals schmooeyed all over our food.  This last delivery, I'd wager about 1/3 of the delivery was still local.  I had bananas and oranges delivered, but also local potatoes, squash, and apples.   All organic, and that has to be better than before. 

Another thing that has been bothering me: I feel that at this moment in time, I'm not ready to go 100% local over the winter.  I didn't prep well enough for it, so throughout the winter we'll be investing in some not-so-local foods.  Like candied apples.  Sure, the apples were local and the sugar was local.  But the mix?  Heck, I didn't know what was in the mix!  :)

I do intend to not make this whole thing into a food blog, although I have a ton of fun cooking and such.  But living a local life is more than food.  It is frequenting some of our local restaurants (Warhorse Inn, Moonstruck Bistro) instead of some of the chains.  Pay attention to where things are manufactured and try to stick to items that are made closer to home rather than half-way around the world.  Planning for the spring garden, enjoying the sights to see in Colorado.  You know, that sort of stuff.

With that to ponder, we leave you with this.  Poached pears in a white wine sauce, served hot and topped with vanilla ice cream (not local, but hey... sometimes efficiency is necessary on improvisation...).

Questions for readers:  Do you try to shop local?  If so, how do you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment