Adventures in cooking sustainably, healthfully, and locally

Until Dave puts the kybosh on it anyway.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Culver's? Eat your heart out

Ok. So how in the world did I figure out how to make frozen custard... without an ice cream maker?

I did what any red-blooded American would do: I googled "how to make ice cream without an ice cream maker."

After a quick perusal of my options, I followed the Ice Cream Recipes website, using this particular recipe for the vanilla ice cream.

Ingredients:
4 egg yolks (LOCAL!)
1/2 pint (250ml) milk (LOCAL!)
1/2 pint (250ml) double/heavy cream (can get local, but didn't have any yet...)
4 oz (100g) sugar or caster sugar (LOCAL!)
1 vanilla pod (scored down the middle) (probably not local)

Yep.  Those measurements aren't in cups.  So I had to pay attention to the mL part of my measuring cups for the first time as well as the grams option on my scale.

The recipe on the website instructs to simmer milk in a pan over direct heat.  I know better.  I learned a long time ago that I shalt not simmer milk over direct heat.  I rig up a makeshift double boiler and do it that way.  Can't burn milk (or chocolate) that way.  How do you double boil something?  Get a small pot, fill part way with water.  Bring the water to a boil.  Whatever you want to heat up or melt, pop it into a metal bowl that fits part way into the pot, but not all the way in.  The heat from the boiling water heats the metal bowl, thereby heating the material inside the bowl without fear of boiling it.  Careful not to fill the pot too much with water; you don't want to have the boiling water directly touch the metal bowl of milk.  Why?  I dunno.  I just read it somewhere.  Anyway...


So boil that water and pour milk into a metal bowl.  Place metal bowl of milk over the boiling pot o' water.


Toss in the vanilla bean.  I have no idea if this would work with extract.  I fortuitously had a random vanilla bean hanging around my spice cabinet so I lucked out.
Let the bean simmer in the milk for about 20 minutes.


Here's my sugar.

 Here are the yolks and the sugar.  Beat 'em til thick.

Note the thickness? 

Ok.  As per instructions:  Carefully remove the vanilla pod from the pan of milk and scrape out the seeds into the milk. Pour the milk into the mixture of egg yolks and sugar whilst stirring.

Pour the mixture back into the bowl (not the pan like the instructions state) and heat gently over the double boiler, stirring until the custard thickens - DO NOT BRING TO THE BOIL OR IT WILL PROBABLY CURDLE. <----see, this wouldn't happen if you'd just use the gosh darned double boiler.

I let it heat up for about 5 minutes.  Instructions state that when the spoon gets a thin film over the back of it then it is done.  Well, the mix is so thick already that it immediately has that film, so I just let it cook for a bit. 

When you feel like it (after at least 5 minutes, folks), remove the bowl from the double boiler and let it sit on the counter for awhile.  I put it on a trivet and then a cookie rack to speed up the process of cooling it. 

When cool, pour into a large, wide container.  I think this is to optimize the cooling/crystalization process.
 Again, I diverted from the instructions for the manual freezing process.  The instructions say to refrigerate it for up to 2 hours.  I said, "No.  I ain't waiting that long for ice cream."  So I popped it into the freezer.

Here comes the important part: you gotta stick around for 2-3 hours for this to work.  Cuz after every 30 minutes, you have to whisk/immersion blend/stir that  ice cream to break up the crystals.  This is key to the smoothness.

When you are done, you get this...
 and this...
  and THIS!!!

And oh, my lordy... this... 

Local potential: darn near 100% if it weren't for those pesky foreign vanilla beans.  I guess I'll just suffer. 

Dave rating:  3/5 stars.  He said I got docked stars for being cocky.
My rating: obviously 5/5 stars.  Yes.  I am being cocky. 

1 comment:

  1. LOL!! You are too hilarious. I give you 10 stars for your adventurous spirit and because it looks darn good.

    ReplyDelete