Adventures in cooking sustainably, healthfully, and locally

Until Dave puts the kybosh on it anyway.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Beets Me



I saw the beet.  I bought the beet.  I conquered the beet.

Beets have often harbored a dark and lonely place in my mind that is reserved for foods that I don't particularly like or want to taste, along side items such as liver and sauerkraut.  Something about the beet deterred me for years, and I'm not sure why.  Over the years, some friends have encouraged me to try them.  A couple of weeks ago I finally tried some roasted beets at a friend's house.

I was pleasantly surprised. 

They do taste good.  Firmness of squash, texture is pretty smooth and not gritty, and the taste is sweet and earthy. 

So I picked them up at last week's farmers market.

Here is what I did:

  • Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.

  • I trimmed off the beet greens and set them aside.  Left about 1" of stem attached to the beets.

  • Popped the greens into a plastic bag (or other container) with a dry paper towel and refrigerate.  They taste like lettuce so it makes a great salad base.

  • Rinsed and scrubbed the beets like I normally do with a potato.  They bleed bright magneta so... don't wear white.

  • Lined a 9x13" glass  baking dish with aluminum foil and sprayed with a bit of non-stick spray, then chucked in the beets.

  • Drizzle ~2 tablespoons of olive oil over the beets, along with pepper and salt.


  • Covered tightly with foil and put in over for an hour. 
  • Have some blueberry pancakes.



  • All done!
After they cool slightly, you're supposed to rub them with a paper towel to remove the skins.  I found that too taxing (mine were all the way cooled off before I got around to it, so maybe that makes a difference?), so I just ate them with the skins on. 

I cut them into chunks and sprinkled with herbed goat cheese; nuked for 1 minute just to warm it up. 

No Dave stars today.  I didn't even bother to force this on him, but perhaps next time...

For me: 3/5 stars.  Tasty small meal.

P.S. I have no idea what is going on with the odd bullets.  Chalk it up to an eccentric artistic flair.

1 comment:

  1. No way, no how! Beets are the work of the devil!!!

    ReplyDelete