Adventures in cooking sustainably, healthfully, and locally

Until Dave puts the kybosh on it anyway.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Of course I'm allergic to vegetable gardens

Good news: the veggie garden doesn't seem like a complete loss. I'm going back to the nursery tomorrow on my way home from work to pick up a second dose of the pesticide. I came home from this weekend to two huge zucchinis, a handful of cherry tomatoes and a couple of romas. Very exciting.

Bad news: upon contact with the squash plants and tomato plants, I developed a burning welting rash on my hand.

Conclusion: I'm allergic/sensitive to my veggie garden. *sigh* After a quick search on the all knowing Google, associated content informed me of the most likely diagnosis:
Allergic Contact Dermatitis (ACD): If you're allergic to a certain type of plant, and you touch it, the rash that can follow is commonly known as, "Allergic Contact Dermatitis." The rash can appear in as little as a few hours. Or, it may take up to 3 days to show up after you've made contact with the plant. The severity of the rash will depend on how allergic your body is to the plant. You may see a mild, pink-to-red-color, itchy rash. Or, you may see bright red, itchy skin with watery blisters and
open sores on your skin. You may also experience hives or welts.
Irritant Contact Dermatitis (ICD): If you have sensitive skin, and you
handle prickly plants, then you may get a rash that's called, "Irritant Contact
Dermatitis." This rash is usually tiny pink-to-red bumps that itch, and may even
burn. Fortunately, this plant-induced rash can be a temporary condition that
clears up quickly.

Considering I have a prickly garden, I probably just got irritated, but then again an antihistamine/anti-itch spray made my hand feel much better.

Lesson: wear your gloves, Lori. Der.

2 comments:

  1. Such an adventure you are experiencing. From learning how to feed a family of two to medical knowledge. Wow, life is exciting isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take this kind of exciting over just about anything these days. I like drama in the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete