Adventures in cooking sustainably, healthfully, and locally

Until Dave puts the kybosh on it anyway.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Denver Urban Homesteading: A Journey for Flour

This last Saturday I was finally able to get myself up to Denver Urban Homesteading (DUH... lol that is an awesome acronym), where Terri Clauss sells her Home Grown flour and sugar beet sugar. I really wasn't sure what to expect at DUH, so of course I had to put my game face on.


Check it.


I am going to be honest here. This was not the rosy suburbs I'm used to. It seems to be in an old warehouse/factory district in Denver and not the shiny new kind. It looked, for a lack of a better phrase, a little "run down" in the sense that I'd not want to walk the streets at night. Ever. However, the building DUH is housed is quite charming:

Even have a little water for the passing pup:

Inside, the classic bright sunshine of a Colorado morning was pouring into the space. Vendors were still setting up goods:



But Terri had all her goodies out, including cookie mixes, flours, the sugar, and flour tortilla mix (which I purchase on a whim; we'll have to show you the pics of that in another post - we had the best tacos that night!):


She was a bit frazzled this morning so I didn't want to bug her for a shot or anything. She was doing a charity pancake thing (I had one: delish!):




I also roamed around and sampled some of the goods some other vendors had out.
  • There were meat merchants (didn't go by them; not in the market for meat at the moment)
  • I tried raw milk (tastes like, well, milk) at the Windsor Dairy area. Windsor also had cheeses and eggs; all nice but not sure if I want to buy a share in dairy yet.
  • Stopped by Ginger's Gourmet (they sell canned goods) and picked up Ass Kickin' Salsa (we had them with the tacos; great fresh taste).
  • The Spice Guys supplied me with some really good pepper sauces that Dave and I like to eat. None of the Spice Guys were selling locally cultivated spices, but all of the goods they make are done in Colorado.
  • Then I tried some raw food action at the Living Fuel booth. Good eats, but they are more "raw" than "local". Didn't buy anything but definitely got some good ideas. Check out the raw chili and raw apple crisp I sampled:

There were bread, fresh veggies, and pasta. Papardelle's got my business again; this time we're going to try their buffalo ravioli.
Will I go back? To get my flour and sugar, sure. But will it be a weekly venture? Unlikely. It's a half hour drive and I can save gas by just going to our farmer's markets and the grocery store.
I wonder: does anyone else have the same set up in their area? Colorado seems to be a mecca for holistic living. What about elsewhere in the country? One must wonder.
Coming up this week: Report on Raw Goat Milk, and homemade tortillas.



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really interesting place. I think that it is something Amerz would like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is pretty darn cool. :) I'll have to show her around someday!

    ReplyDelete