Adventures in cooking sustainably, healthfully, and locally

Until Dave puts the kybosh on it anyway.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

"C" is for Cookie: Good enough for Dave


It's no secret: Dave likes himself a good chocolate chip cookie.  And once upon at time in a land far far away called Wisconsin, I OWNED making cookies of all kinds.  I made some awesome soft, chewy, yumyumyummy cookies. 

Somehow, in the course of moving 1000 miles to the west and 5000 feet up in altitude, I lost my cookie making mojo.

My once tried and true gooey cookies all came out as (ironically) hockey pucks.  And I tried everything!  I tried reading up on how to bake in high altitudes.  Add more flour, use shortening instead of butter, substitute brown sugar for regular sugar.

Alas.  I failed. 

But I never gave up hope.  Perseverance (and a mild obsession with allrecipes.com) lead me to the Ultimate High Altitude Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. 

Hesitant and afraid of another batch of door stoppers, I ended up holding onto the recipe for more than a year.  When I finally made the cookies earlier this year, I swear I heard angels from on high singing the praises that their prodigal daughter has finally returned home to her Kitchen Aid Mixer.  Ok, perhaps not "singing" as much as muttering "thank God she's done complaining about making stupid cookies."

Anyway.  Ingredients:
1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup white sugar*
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 eggs*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
The non-local ingredients:

 The local ingredients, including fresh eggs from Blue Barn and beet sugar and unbleached flour from Colorado Easy Eats.
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Mix in eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the batter just until blended, then mix in the chocolate chips so they are evenly distributed. Drop cookies by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets spacing 2 inches apart.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the edges begin to turn golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.


The true test, both with overall cookie goodness AND whether or not the use of beet sugar and local flour made a difference, lay in Dave's tummy.

Obviously he was skeptical:

But then he took a bit and was very pleased:

4/5 stars.  At least that is what I heard as he was chewing.  :)

1 comment: