Adventures in cooking sustainably, healthfully, and locally

Until Dave puts the kybosh on it anyway.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Starting the process: First recipe!

It makes complete sense to me that the key to start eating locally is to attempt to grow some of your own food. I can't keep an indoor plant alive to save my life (with the exception of an orchid; not sure how I'm pulling that off) but, after years of seeing Amy and my mom grow much of their own food for years and desperately wanting to give it an honest go myself, I had to give it a try.

This picture is from earlier in the season; I'll post more recent ones later.And the garden produced this....
Which, in turn, transformed into this...



This is what I aspire to. The light seasonings are store bought from who knows where and I'm pretty sure the olive oil made a transatlantic flight in order to dress my zuccas. BUT the bulk of this little side dish was home grown. Right beside my house, in raised beds built by my father and my husband, and planted by my mother and me.




I know where this zucchini came from. There is a nice bit of satisfaction in that. And even Dave gave the thumbs up to:


Broiled Zucchini (adapted from Better Homes and Garden's)
Slice a zucchini, ~1/4 inch thick. Toss with olive oil, garlic powder, and onion salt. Throw in some Italian seasoning if you are feeling sassy. Broil until soft and browned, turning 1x.


Easy peasy pie.

1 comment:

  1. Love this idea. I really enjoyed the phones and the editional on your wonderful garden. Keep up the posts. I will definitely look forward to them.

    ReplyDelete